A lasting vestige of the pandemic on organizations is a heightened focus on rapidly upskilling and reskilling of the workforce as the needs of the business change. The issue always existed, but the speed and scope of the changes necessitated by the pandemic showed companies how unprepared they are.
In the process of reexamining their approach to learning and development, companies have been looking at their strategies, technologies, and processes to uncover ways to better develop the workforce and close skills gaps. What really needs to happen, though, is for the organizations themselves to make a shift, developing and sustaining a culture of continuous learning.
This is critical for many reasons, including the following:
- The ability of the workforce to learn and adapt to change is vital to the success of the business. Otherwise, the organization will be unable to respond quickly enough to the demands of the market and competition.
- A workforce of lifelong learners is an engaged workforce, especially when they feel they are growing and being developed.
- A solid learning culture is emerging as a competitive advantage in the war for talent.
- The skills challenges companies face are rapidly evolving and cannot be solved by hiring alone. The incumbent workforce needs to be upskilled and reskilled now and moving forward.
Of course, cultural change is not easy, but that is another reason it must happen. The longer learning is overlooked as integral to the organization’s culture, the harder it becomes to make it so. In Brandon Hall Group’s Upskilling and Reskilling Study, only 45% of companies rated themselves a 4 or 5 on a 5-point scale for being a learning-focused organization.
Brandon Hall Group Smartchoice Platinum Preferred Provider EI Design works closely with a variety of organizations to help them build armies of lifelong learners. They help companies realize that even though it seems like a monumental task, changing the organization’s culture is actually an aggregation of many specific, smaller steps.
Some of the key elements they work through with their clients include:
- Identifying opportunities to provide learning in the flow of work.
- Providing Microlearning options for frequent nudges that build learning habits.
- Creating opportunities for trial and error and the celebration of failure as a learning opportunity.
- Prioritizing, recognizing, and rewarding learning. Show the organization’s commitment to learning by rewarding successful outcomes and behaviors.
- Retraining and reskilling the L&D team to better facilitate a culture of learning.
To learn more about these strategies and others that can help transform your organization, join us for a webinar with Brandon Hall Group and EI Design on July 15th. We will reveal specific moves L&D teams can immediately make to create a culture of continuous learning.
David Wentworth, Principal Analyst, Brandon Hall Group
About Brandon Hall Group Inc.
Brandon Hall Group is the only professional development company that offers data, research, insights and certification to Learning and Talent executives and organizations. The best minds in Human Capital Management (HCM) choose Brandon Hall Group to help them create future-proof employee development plans for the new era.
For over 27 years, we have empowered, recognized and certified excellence in organizations around the world influencing the development of over 10,000,000 employees and executives. Our HCM Excellence Awards was the first to recognize organizations for learning and talent and is the gold standard, known as the “Academy Awards of Human Capital Management.”
Our cloud-based platform delivers evidence-based insights in the areas of Learning and Development, Talent Management, Leadership Development, Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition and HR/Workforce Management for corporate organizations and HCM solution providers.
To learn more, visit https://www.brandonhall.com
For information on Brandon Hall Group’s research and how we can assist your organization, please visit www.brandonhall.com
Become a Brandon Hall Group member!
We are a human capital management research and advisory firm with more than 10,000 clients globally. For over 27 years, we have been delivering research-based solutions that empower excellence in organizations around the world. Our vision is to inspire a better workplace experience. Becoming a Brandon Hall Group member means our team joins your team. Membership provides a host of resources and services and – most importantly — a seasoned team of thought leaders and client support professionals dedicated to your success.
Click here for more information and to sign up for a free trial membership
Click here for information on Brandon Hall Group’s Professional Certification Program