Developing a Culture of Compliance


Photo by from Pexels

By David Wentworth

The learning landscape changes and evolves seemingly every day: mobile, social, microlearning, learning experiences, virtual reality, artificial intelligence, etc. I guess we can take some comfort that throughout it all, one thing does not change: the criticality of compliance.

Join me on July 26 for a webinar as I team up with eLogic Learning to discuss how organizations can develop a culture of compliance and why it is important.

For some organizations, it can be as simple as becoming familiar with the employee handbook. For others, it can be the difference between being in or out of business. In some cases, it can even be a life and death matter.

While the means of developing, deploying and tracking compliance training may be changing, the need to get it right never does. In fact, in our most recent Learning Strategy survey, compliance training was found to be the biggest priority for L&D, with 54% of companies labeling it a “high priority.” The next closest priority is job-specific skills training, cited by 49% as a high priority.

What companies need most is access to the most up-to-date content that is easy to deploy and track. The last time we asked companies, nearly one-quarter of compliance training was being managed via manual processes. This can create a nightmare during an audit. Only 40% of companies say they are thoroughly prepared for a compliance audit, which means the other 60% aren’t prepared. Having a system that tracks and measures compliance levels as part of the delivery can eliminate gaps and reduce risk.

Much of the compliance training out there hasn’t changed since it was developed years ago, either. It remains static and, let’s face it, boring. Compliance is far too important to remain in the era of pencil-pushing. Technology solutions allow companies to take better control of their programs, offer better material and make compliance more engaging.

David Wentworth, Principal Learning Analyst, Brandon Hall Group

Like what you see? Share with a friend.

Mike Cooke



Stay connected

Get notified for upcoming news subscribing

Related Content

Mike Cooke

Chief Executive Officer of Brandon Hall Group Mike Cooke Prior to joining Brandon Hall Group, Mike Cooke was the Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of AC Growth. Mike held leadership and executive positions for the majority of his career, at which he was responsible for steering sales and marketing teams to drive results and profitability. His background includes more than 15 years of experience in sales, marketing, management, and operations in the research, consulting, software and technology industries. Mike has extensive experience in sales, marketing and management having worked for several early high-growth emerging businesses and has implemented technology systems to support various critical sales, finance, marketing and client service functions. He is especially skilled in organizing the sales and service strategy to fully support a company’s growth strategy. The concept of growth was an absolute to Mike and a motivator in starting AC Growth, in order to help organizations achieve research driven results. Most recently, Mike was the VP and General Manager of Field Operations at Bersin & Associates, a global analyst and consulting services firm focused on all areas of enterprise learning, talent management and talent acquisition. Tasked with leading the company’s global expansion, Mike led all sales operations worldwide. During Mike’s tenure, the company has grown into a multi-national firm, conducting business in over 45 countries with over 4,500 multi-national organizations. Mike started his career at MicroVideo Learning Systems in 1992, eventually holding a senior management position and leading all corporate sales before founding Dynamic Minds. Mike was CEO and Co-Founder of Dynamic Minds, a custom developer of software programs, working with clients like Goldman Sachs, Prentice Hall, McGraw Hill and Merrill Lynch. Also, Mike worked for Oddcast, a leading provider of customer experience and marketing solutions, where he held a senior management position leading the company into new markets across various industries. Mike also serves on the Advisory Board for Carbon Solutions America, an independent sustainability consulting and carbon management firm that specializes in the design and implementation of greenhouse reduction and sustainability plans as well as managing the generation of carbon and renewal energy and energy efficiency credits. Mike attended University of Phoenix, studying Business Administration and Finance. He has also completed executive training at the Chicago Graduate School of Business in Chicago, IL.